There are many benefits to using link shortening services to take a long and ugly URL and making it a short and pretty one. This method is commonly used in social media when trying to share links with friends and other audiences. Since social networks try to limit the amount of text within each status update, it makes a lot of sense for them to cut down the URL to save a lot of space. Social networks usually have this method automated through their platform, but there are many other benefits and features for link shortening as well.
Another popular reason why sites might want to use link shortening is to try and generate additional money for their site. Some of the most popular link shortening services — Shorte.st, Adf.ly and LinkShrunk — all pay their users to share redirect links with their audiences. The monetization method here is to serve advertisements in between the link redirect process. The network would then share the revenue with each of their site partners.
To learn more about how link shortening and the monetization method works, be sure to check out the simple infographic below.
How Paid Link Shortening Services Work and Make Money Infographic Summary
Using link shortening within your site content and social media is easy. With most sites, all it takes is a free signup and simply copy and pasting the URLs in their desired location. Follow the step by step guide below see how the process works in full detail.
- Visit your favorite link shortening service and create a free account
- Post your long URL to the site and watch as it’s instantly converted into a short URL
- Once the user clicks on a shortened URL, they will then be redirected to a middle page where an advertisement can be seen
- When the end user is ready to skip or pass through the advertisement, all they need to do is click a “SKIP” button
- After seeing the ad display, the end user is sent to their final destination and the redirect process is complete
- With the advertisement having been served, the link shortening network and the site partner then take part in the rev-share process from the advertisements shown.